Talking points to boost Democrats and take on Trump’s allies in Massachusetts.
View this email in your browser ([link removed])
Our goal with the MassDems Wire is to give you the tools to boost Democrats and take on Trump and his Republican allies here in Massachusetts. Use these talking points on social media, as the basis for a letter to the editor of your local paper, in emails to your personal network, or in conversations with your friends and neighbors.
January 13, 2020
Baker on BLM and Capitol Riots: “When I look at them, I see the same thing”
The House Votes to Protect our Democracy
Baker on BLM protests and Capitol Insurrection: “When I look at them, I see the same thing”
“When I look at both of them I see the same thing.” That’s what Charlie Baker had to say last week about this summer’s Black Lives Matter protests and the armed insurrection at the Capitol incited by his party’s President.
* Let’s be clear: the BLM protests and the riot at the Capitol were not “the same thing.” Charlie Baker calling them that is offensive and flat-out wrong.
* Last week, Donald Trump unleashed an attack on democracy by inciting rioters to storm the Capitol. These were not protestors.
+ They were an armed and violent mob of insurrectionists and domestic terrorists bent on overturning the results of a free and fair election.
* The protests this summer called for reform and accountability following a string of murders of Black men and women at the hands of the police.
+ Millions of folks from all walks of life joined in peaceful protests against a longstanding culture of institutional racism and police violence against Black Americans.
* Baker is pulling his message right out of the GOP playbook. The same ones used by House Republicans to shirk responsibility for enabling the violence.
+ This isn’t any different than Trump saying there were “very fine people on both sides” of the white supremacist march on Charlottesville.
+ He’s trying to appease his Republican colleagues attempting to salvage the last days of Trump’s presidency.
The House Votes to Protect Our Democracy
After last week’s attack, the House of Representatives will vote to impeach Donald Trump for the second time. Trump must be held accountable for inciting a deadly attempted coup at the Capitol and barred from holding office ever again.
* Trump’s days as president are numbered. Americans rejected him in November.
* In his final days in office, Trump incited an insurrection in an attempt to overturn the will of the people.
* Today, Democrats and Republicans will join in a bipartisan vote to impeach Trump for a second time.
* Trump remains a clear and present danger to the Constitution and our democracy.
* Trump will be the only president in American history to be impeached twice.
* President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris will work over the next four years to restore democracy and respect for the rule of law.
We encourage you to share these talking points with your networks online and offline. Questions about the information outlined above and about the MassDems Wire program may be directed at our Communications Director, Allison Mitchell. (mailto:[email protected]?subject=Wednesday%20Wire)
Our mailing address is:
Massachusetts Democratic Party
11 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can ** update your preferences ([link removed])
or ** unsubscribe from this list ([link removed])